Scene Study (ongoing remote class)
Each week, students work with film and tv scripts to develop complex characters and create a habit of making bold choices.
Students are provided a feature or tv script from which they select their own scenes for classwork. Through this, students learn to recognize excellent writing and see what types of characters they are organically drawn toward. The class also allows students to create footage to exhibit their craft to agents, managers and casting directors.
Periodically, students will self-tape their work and experience mock auditions to improve those skills and prepare actors for remote castings.
The class focuses on each script for one 4-week cycle. However, students may drop-in at any point for a single class or to join a cycle in progress.
- 6 students
- Teacher: Kimberly Jurgen
- $60/class or $200 for 4 consecutive classes
- 7.00-9.00 pm each Monday, ongoing classes via Zoom
- No makeup classes
Acting/Scene Study (In-person classes)
In this hybrid Acting/Scene Study class, students work with film and tv scripts to develop audition and performance skills.
Actors learn to dive into character and live fully in that character’s world. Our technique helps the actor understand and connect with all elements of a scene through deep script analysis.
During each 4-week cycle, students go through the actor’s experience from audition to character emersion with a scene partner.
- 12 students
- Teacher: Kimberly Jurgen
- $400 for 8 weeks – new students commit to two 4-week cycles
- 7.00-10.00 pm each Monday, ongoing classes at CBAA Studio
- Prepared actors work every class; no makeup classes
- Auditors allowed only at the first class of each 4-week cycle. New students join on the first class of a 4-week cycle.
In this live seminar, we will take you through the entire audition process. You will learn about casting sites and self-submission tips to help you stand out. You will learn how to prepare for your audition with tips to quickly break down a script and connect with your character.
You will learn the mistake most actors make when doing a self-taped audition and how to avoid it.
You will learn why 5 seconds is all a casting director needs to know if you are a fit for the role.
We will talk about agents and managers. Headshots. Resumes. Demo reels. Contracts. The pros and cons of doing background work. And more.
A few volunteers will also receive on-the-spot coaching with CBAA owner and teacher, Kimberly Jurgen.
- CBAA Studio in Sherman Oaks
- Seating is on a first-come basis.
- Free parking in our parking lot.
- Personal recording of the seminar is not permitted.