SCENE STUDY (ongoing, 8-week cycle)
This ongoing Scene Study class develops the actor’s ability to listen and live truthfully. Moment to moment. To dive into character and live fully in that character’s world. This technique helps the actor understand and connect with all elements of a scene through deep script analysis.
Each 4-week cycle goes through each stage of audition prep. Encouraging students to be fearless as they invite a character in.
Every class begins with Spolin improv warm-ups and curiosity exercises to encourage actors to see the world from a fresh perspective without imposing their own history on the characters.
- Week 1, students work on prepared short scenes as well as a monologue to develop cold reading techniques.
- Week 2, students work on monologues and longer scenes.
- Week 3, students work with a reader in on-camera mock auditions of all sides.
- Week 4, students work on callback and chemistry tests techniques.
Periodically scenes or monologues will be recorded for class viewing.
- Prerequisite: Commercial 1 or at least 2 years working in a major market
- 14 students
- Teacher: Kimberly Jurgen
- $400 for 8 weeks – students commit to two 4-week cycles
- 7.00-10.00 pm each Monday, ongoing classes at On Your Mark Studios
- Prepared actors work every class; no makeup classes
- Auditors allowed only at the first class of each 4-week cycle. New students join on the first class of a 4-week cycle.
This live seminar is an introduction to the CBAA acting technique and will reveal steps to connect with your character at the deepest level. After all, your character is just a stranger you haven’t made friends with. Yet. And as you read a script, you may immediately see things you have in common or you may not recognize yourself in the character at all. This technique will help you peel back the layers and ask the questions that will make that character your new best friend.
We will also discuss business strategies which will assist you in finding representation, working with your rep and getting auditions on your own.
Volunteers will receive on-the-spot coaching with CBAA owner and teacher, Kimberly Jürgen.
- Whitmore-Lindley Theatre, 11006 W Magnolia Blvd, North Hollywood
- Seating is on a first-come basis. Free street parking.
- Personal recording of the seminar is not permitted.